Saturday, January 27, 2007

Not Good Enough

Governor Rell says no gay marriage in Connecticut:

(Hartford, Connecticut) Connecticut Gov. M. Jodi Rell said Friday that if the legislature passes a same-sex marriage bill she will veto it.

The threat comes as LGBT civil rights groups prepare for a new push next week on lawmakers to approve same-sex marriage.

In 2005, Rell, a Republican, signed a civil union bill - at the time the second in the nation, after Vermont, and the first to enact such a law without being ordered by a court.

"When I signed the civil union bill that I believed it covered the concerns that had been raised," Rell told reporters Friday when asked about a potential marriage bill in the legislature.

"And I believe that that bill was the appropriate way to go and I still do,'' Rell said.
I feel like a broken record, but as I've said before and before, "separate but equal wasn't good enough for schools or drinking fountains; it's not good enough for nuptials." Civil Unions are not an equivalent of marriage.