Sunday, December 30, 2007

Not A Story Unless You're A Traffic Whore

I was reading the news this morning and came across an odd story about Hannah Montana star Miley Cyrus. Pictures are floating around that show her having fun with a friend at a sleepover. Gossip sites are promoting the photos as racy. Cyrus gave the best response to the non-story:
“It’s two girls at a sleepover, and if all of a sudden that’s bad, then what is the world coming to?”
I'm trying to find people upset by these photos. I'm wondering if this is something the American Taliban will care about? I'm guessing not. So far, I haven't see any homophobic ramblings from the American Family Association or the uptight men at Concerned Women for America.

One person playing this story as a scandal is Perez Hilton (Nope, I'm not linking it.), whose front page today also features the evils of Rosie O'Donnell, Nicole Austin's "camel toe," and Alanis Morissettes' "lady lumps."

I don't care if Hilton is gay like me; I don't care if he helped break the story about Larry Craig. Trolling for traffic by playing to peoples' sexism and homophobia is crap. In a country where many actual LGBT youth face unbelievable hardships (e.g., one-third of NYC's homeless youth are LGBT), posting pictures of Hannah Mon-effing-tana at a sleepover and promoting them as risqué and gay is BS. Seriously, eff that opportunistic shite.