Friday, August 10, 2007

LGBT Forum

You probably wouldn't know it from the news, but last night there was a Logo/HRC sponsored forum on LGBT issues. A panel of LGBT people directly questioned democratic presidential candidates. Pam provided great live-blogging coverage as well as a must-read roundup post where she discusses her interview with Richardson and his "it's a choice" fumble. For completeness, she includes a press release from Richardson's campaign on his record on LGBT rights.

If you want to know what the candidates had to say and where they stand on LGBT issues (i.e. if you give a damn about what people thirsting to lead our country have to say about LGBT issues), Pam's posts are the things to read.

Oh, and Richardson's exchange with Melissa Etheridge:
MS. ETHERIDGE: Thank you. Do you think homosexuality is a choice, or is it biological?

GOV. RICHARDSON: It's a choice. It's --

MS. ETHERIDGE: I don't know if you understand the question. (Soft laughter.) Do you think I -- a homosexual is born that way, or do you think that around seventh grade we go, "Ooh, I want to be gay"?

GOV. RICHARDSON: Well, I -- I'm not a scientist. It's -- you know, I don't see this as an issue of science or definition. I see gays and lesbians as people as a matter of human decency. I see it as a matter of love and companionship and people loving each other. You know I don't like to categorize people. I don't like to, like, answer definitions like that that, you know, perhaps are grounded in science or something else that I don't understand.

PostBlog: videos from the event are posted at Logo's Visible Vote site.