Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Shopping Equally
Shopping is something I never guessed I'd be writing about at my blog. I hate almost every aspect of shopping, especially around the holidays. I do like the decorations though, and I like grocery shopping when I don't have to hurry. Also, I did have fun once torturing a friend as he looked for a David Spade bag in Soho. I guess never say, "never" when it comes to blogging. Anyway, I saw this article and thought I'd pass it on. From the article:
(Washington) Friday hundreds of thousands of gays and lesbians will head to the malls like other other [sic] shoppers for Black Friday, the busiest shopping day of the year, and the nation's largest LGBT civil rights organization is calling on gays to support those companies that support LGBT issues.

The Human Rights Campaign has prepared a
Buying For Equality Guide that rates stores and manufactures.

NOTE: The actual guide is a pdf file at the HRC site. At the page linked above the first link is a to a Corporate Equality index. That's not the shopping guide. The last two links on the page are requesting and downloading. These links will get you the buying guide. The downloading link is to the PDF form of the buying guide. Note to the HRC: if you want people to use your guide, make the links to it prominent at your site. Better yet, why not make it an indexed table on your Buying Guide page? A little more web development and a little less black tie would go a long way here.

The BuyBlue site is another good tool when trying to avoid shopping for evil.